IV.4. Translocations and balanced tertiary trisomics.
R. T. Ramage. Department of Agronomy and Plant Genetics, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721, U.S.A.
Two new translocations were added to the World Collection in 1972: Tl-6m of spontaneous origin in the genetic stock Utah 3 (8) and T4-7h of spontaneous origin in the cultivar Betzes C.I. 6398 (6).
During 1972, one balanced tertiary trisomic and one balanced primary trisomic interchange homozygote were added to the World Collection. The balanced tertiary trisomic has an extra T2-7a chromosome and uses ms 16 (locus located on the translocated segment of chromosome 7) as the marker gene (7).
The balanced primary trisomic interchange homozygote is homozygous for T2-7a, has an extra chromosome 7, and uses the seedling lethal associated with the break-point of chromosome T7-2a as the marker gene (7).
A number of multiple translocation stocks are being added to the World Collection. They are listed in Table 1. All of the seed stocks and information (except stock no. XH-447) were obtained from Dr. C. R. Burnham. All of the multiple translocation stocks are homozygous; i.e., they contain 7 pairs of chromosomes and, when crossed with a standard normal, will give an F1 with chromosome configurations as listed in the second column of Table 1.
Limited amounts of seed of the translocation and balanced tertiary trisomic seed stocks are available upon request from R. T. Ramage, Agronomy and Plant Genetics Department, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721, U.S.A.
Table 1. List of multiple translocation stocks.
1. Burnham, C. R. 1973. Personal communication dated January 4, 1973.
2. Burnham, C. R., et al. 1959. Minnesota cytogenetics laboratory work on barley. Barley Newsletter 2:47-49.
3. Burnham, C. R., et al. 1960. Minnesota cytogenetics laboratory work on barley. Barley Newsletter 3:54-56.
4. Burnham, C. R., F. H. White and R. W. Livers. 1954. Chromosomal inter changes in barley. Cytologia 19:191-202.
5. Ramage, R. T. 1972. Personal communication dated December 31, 1972.
6. Ramage, R. T. and Michele Paluska. 1972. Personal communication dated December 31, 1972.
7. Ramage, R. T., Michele Paluska and G. A. Wiebe. 1973. Genetics and cytology of the translocation T2-7a. Barley Genetics Newsletter 3:47-49.
8. Tsuchiya, T. and R. J. Singh. 1973. Cytological identification of a reciprocal translocation found in a genetic stock, Utah 3, for purple lemma and pericarp. Barley Genetics Newsletter 3:74-75.
BGN 3 toc
BGN Main Index