This is a full time position with Limagrain Cereal Seeds supporting the wheat breeding program based in Lafayette, IN. The incumbent has primary responsibility for 1) managing on and off-site field trials located in the eastern US and 2) support implementation of genomic selection in the breeding program.
Assist wheat breeding program in all facets of field trials and breeding nurseries, including but not limited to: seed preparation, trial design, site management, planting and harvest, seed purification, and data collection. Assist in managing greenhouse operations, including plant production and crossing. Operate and maintain field, laboratory, and small plot equipment. Apply fertilizer and pesticides as necessary.
Manage, analyze, and summarize data from multilocation field and disease trials. Coordinate testing and manage data from molecular marker and end-use quality analyses. Manage, prepare, and clean phenotypic and genotypic data for calibration and prediction of breeding values via genomics selection. Manage data and conduct analyses using proprietary software.
The successful candidate will work closely with local staff in day-to-day operations and train and supervise temporary employees. The candidate will interact and collaborate with company staff and breeders, lab managers, product development specialists, contractors, growers, and with biostatisticians to prepare and analyze combined phenotypic and genotypic datasets.
Primary responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
* Responsible for management of on- and off-station wheat breeding trials, including experimental design, seed preparation; pesticide and fertilizer applications; planting and harvest; data collection; and transport and operation of field equipment.
* Responsible to coordinate and submit samples for molecular marker projects, to manage phenotypic and molecular data for analyses and implementation of genomic selection.
* Safely apply pesticides and fertilizer when necessary and maintain records. Maintain a pesticide applicatorís license.
* Coordinate seed increase and purification of variety candidates with LCS Product Manager.
* Supervise and instruct up to 10 seasonal and hourly employees to safely and efficiently accomplish tasks.
* Position requires a minimum BS in plant science, agronomy, horticulture, statistics, bioinformatics, or related discipline; or equivalent job experience.
* Experience in commercial or research field crop management and related equipment operation is required. Experience with production and management of cereals is desired.
* Knowledge and experience application of statistics, experimental design, and data management is required.
* Knowledge of molecular marker applications, genomic selection, and management of phenotypic and genotypic data.
* Experience with culture of plants in either field or greenhouse setting
* The ability to travel domestically and internationally.
* Candidate should possess good interpersonal skills, effective oral and written communication skills in English and experience with Microsoft Office software.
* Must have knowledge and experience with experimental design, biostatistics and data management. Able to become proficient with company database, statistical and biostatistics software, and other analytical software.
* Possess, or able to obtain, a commercial driverís license within 2 months of start of employment for transport of farm equipment. Proficient in safe operation of small farm equipment. Able to obtain a demonstration/research pesticide applicators license.
* Detail oriented. Able to take accurate notes on plant phenotype and response to disease and insects.
* Demonstrated ability to work independently and in teams. Able to work extended hours under variable environmental and ergonomic conditions associated with planting, harvesting, and note taking.
Physical Demands of the Essential Duties
Candidate is required to stand, walk, talk, and hear. The employee is required to use hands to feel objects, tools, and controls. The employee is required to sit, stand, bend, climb, kneel, crunch, or crawl. The employee must be able to lift/move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift/move up to 75 pounds. The employee must be able to see and possess physical dexterity for precise tasks such as emasculation as well as skills required for evaluation of disease and insect effect.
Working conditions while performing essential functions
Conditions are often dusty, hot, and noisy. Exposure to both high and low temperatures, sun, rain, dust, potential allergens, and pesticides. Significant domestic and possibly international travel throughout key target areas is required. Extended hours of work will be required during times of harvest and planting.
Reports to: LCS Sr. Wheat Breeder for Eastern Region
Applications will be accepted until filled,
but should be submitted by February 18, 2019, for full consideration.
Send application and resume to:
LIMAGRAIN CEREAL SEEDS LLC
2040 SE Frontage Road, Fort Collins, Colorado 80525
Attn: Tami Agin, Finance & Administrative Manager
OR email to:
Jobs-LCS@Limagrain.com Subject Line: Breeder Assistant IN
Limagrain Cereal Seeds LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer,
an ëAt Willí employer and Drug-Free Workplace
We offer an excellent benefits package and salary commensurate with experience.
27/07/2019 (1 week)