A Database for Triticeae and Avena
V. 1. Linkage maps of barley, 1982.
T. Tsuchiya, Department of Agronomy, Colorado State University, Fort
Collins, Colorado 80523, U.S.A.
The first complete linkage maps for seven barley chromosomes were published
by Robertson in 1939. The linkage maps have been changed many times since
1939. The changes not only involve the number of genes located in the map
but also the gene loci in the map, depending on the researchers' interpretation
of the data and/or the newly obtained information (Tables 1 and 2).
Table l. Number of mapped (and associated) gene
loci in barley, 1938-1971.
Table 2. Number of mapped and associated gene
loci in barley, 1981.
The linkage maps were mainly developed based on the data obtained from
conventional genetic analysis until cytogenetic methods such as translocation
analysis and trisomic analysis were introduced in the early 1950's (see
Literature on review papers on linkage mapping in barley, p. 103-104).
The linkage maps shown in Figure 1 are the most recent ones. Many more
genes were associated with individual chromosomes but not located precisely
in the maps. These genes are listed in Table 3.
Fig. 1. Linkage maps of barley, 1982
Table 3. List of genes associated but not definitely
located with respective chromosome/chromosome arm in barley.
The list of genes most of which were located in the maps, associated
with respective chromosomes and/or genetically studied in detail, are presented
in Section VII. 1 (p. 110).
There are two lists of literature. The reference on mutant genes listed
in Table 1 in VII. 1 are attached to Table 1. The reference number in Table
1 refers to the literature number in this list.
These are by no means perfect or complete. Revisions will be made in
the next issue of Genetic Maps. Comments and suggestions by barley geneticists
Literature for review on linkage mappingin barley, chronological order
1. Robertson, D. W. 1939. Genetics of barley. J. Am. Soc. Agron. 31:273-283.
2. Robertson, D. W., G. A. Wiebe and F. R. Immer. 1941. A summary of
linkage stuties in barley. J. Am. Soc. Agron. 33:47-64.
3. Robertson, D. W., G. A. Wiebe and R. G. Shands. 1947. A summary
of ltnkage studies in barley: Suppl. I, 1940-1946. J. Am. Soc. Agron. 39:464-473.
4. Smith, L. 1951. Cytology and genetics of barley. Bot. Rev. 17:1-51,
5. Robertson, D. W., G. A. Wiebe and R. G. Shants. 1955. A summary
of linkage studies in barley: Suppl. II, 1947-1953. Agron. J. 47: 418-425.
6. Takahashi, R. 1956. Chromosome maps of barley. In. Handbook of Genetics
(et. Y. Sinoto et al.):247. Gihoto, Tokyo, Japan (Japanese).
7. Robertson, D. W. 1964. New genes in barley with their relation to
linkage groups and chromosomes. Barley Genetics I, Prock Ist Intern. Barley
Genet. Symp., (eds. S. Broekhuizen et al.):159-180, Wageningen, The Netherlands.
8. Anonymous. 1964. The chromosomes of barley. Barley Genetics I, Proc.
Ist Intern. 8arley Genet. Symp., (eds. S. Broekhuizen et al.): 188-189,
Wageningen, The Netherlands.
9. Nilan, R. A. 1964. The Cytology and Genetics of Barley, 1951-1962.
Monog. Suppl. 3. Research Studies. 278pp. Washington State Univ., Pullman,
10. Robertson, D. W., G. A. Wiebe, R. G. Shands and A. Hagberg. 1965.
A su ary of linkage studies in cultivated barley, Hordeum species:
Supplement III, 1954-1963. Crop Sci. 5:33-43.
11. Wiebe, G. A. 1968. Barley. Origin, botany, culture, winter hardiness,
genetics, utilization, pests. USDA Agr. Handbook 338:1-127.
12. Robertson, D. W. 1971. Recent information of linkage and chromosome
mapping. Barley Genetics II, Proc. IInd Intern. Barley Genet. Symp., (ed.
R. A. Nilan):220-242, Pullman, Washington.
13. Tsuchiya, T. and T. E. Haus. 1971. Current linkage maps of barley.
14. Tsuchiya, T. 1972. New linkage maps of barley. BGN 2:163-167.
15. Tsuchiya, T. 1973. New linkage maps of barley. BGN 3:99-103.
16. Tsuchiya, T. 1974. Linkage maps of barley as of March 1974. BGN
17. Tsuchiya, T. 1975. Linkage maps of barley as of March 1975. BGN
18. Tsuchiya, T. 1976. Linkage information as of April 1976. BGN 6:110-113.
19. Haus, T. E. 1977. Linkage information as of April 1977. BGN 7:101-102.
20. Takahashi, R. and T. Fukuyama. 1977. Linkage maps and gene list
in barley. In Plant Genetics IV. Morphogenecis and Mutations, Chap. 4.
Gene list and Chromosome Maps (ed. H. Yamaguchi).:391-416. Shokabo Co.
Ltd., Tokyo, Japan (Japanese).
21. Tsuchiya, T. 1978. Linkage maps of barley, 1978. BGN 8:146-150.
22. Tsuchiya, T. 1979. Linkage maps of barley, 1979. BGN 9:129-130.
23. Tsuchiya, T. 1980. Linkage maps of barley, 1980. BGN 10:95-98.
24. Tsuchiya, T. 1981. Revised linkage maps of barley, 1981. BGN 11:
25. Tsuchiya, T. 1982. Linkage maps of barley, 1982. BGN 12:lOO-lO4.
BGN 12 toc
BGN Main Index