A Database for Triticeae and Avena
Front Cover Diagram: Nucleolar dominance in
barley (p iv)
Foreword (p. iii)
Table of Contents (pp. v-vii; not included here)
I. Special Notices (p. 1-1a)
II. Research Notes
1. Deficiency of 6L in diploid barley.
R.A. Finch, pp. 2-3
2. The hap gene causes facultative pseudogamy
in barley. R.A. Finch, pp. 4-6
3. The WPBS genetic male sterile barley collection.
C.A. Foster, M. Fothergill and A.D. Hale, pp. 6-8
4. Allelism studies of new genetic male sterile
barley stocks in the WPBS collection. D.A. Dawi and C.A. Foster, pp.
5. Attempts to establish a balanced male
sterile-semidominant chloroplast mutant linkage for hybrid barley.
C.A. Foster and D.A. Dawi, pp. 11-13
6. Chloroplast membrane protein differences
uzu-wst3, and a normal barley cultivar.
H. Ahokas, pp. 14-16
7. Further notes on the incompatibility
Hordeum vulgare L. cv. Vada x H. bulbosum L.
R.A. Pickering, pp. 17-19
8. Frequency of tetraploid and triploid
androgenetic plants of winter barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). W.
Friedt and B. Foroughi-Wehr, pp. 19-21
9. Additional information on the Triplo
7S in barley. A. Shahla and T. Tsuchiya, pp. 22-23
10. Further studies on acrotrisomic for 5S5L
(formerly meta 1A) in barley. A. Shahla and T. Tsuchiya, pp. 23-24
11. Telotrisomic analysis in Triplo 3S in barley.
A. Shahla and T. Tsuchiya, p. 25
12. Telotrisomic analysis of the gene ac2
(albino seedling) in Triplo 1S in barley. Azizeh Shahla and T. Tsuchiya,
13. Additional information on telotrisomic analysis
with triple marker stock (br, fc, gs3)
on the short arm of chromosome 1. Azizeh Shahla and T. Tsuchiya, pp.
14. Additional information of genetic analysis
with acrotrisomic lLlS and triple marker stock f8 lk2n.
Azizeh Shahla and T. Tsuchiya, pp. 28-29
15. Enhancement of gamma ray-induced mutation
frequency in barley by post-treatment with Ethidium bromide (EB). J.
Singh, B.N. Singh and R.M. Singh, pp. 29-30
16. Spring habit mutants in barley. Yasuo
Ukai, pp. 30-32
17. Duplication of chromosome segments in barley
chromosomes 6 and 7. Gunborg Hagberg, Arne Hagberg and Theresa Sodkiewicz,
18. Biochemical evidence for two sub-families
of genes at the Hor 2 locus. P.R. Shewry, M. Kreis, B.G. Forde,
S. Rahman and B.J. Miflin, pp. 35-37
19. Biochemical mutants from the barley embryo
selection system. Simon Bright, Joseph Kueh and Ben Miflin, pp. 37-42
20. A further study on linkage of the "dusky"
mutant, dsk. J. Hayashi, I. Moriya and R. Takahashi, pp. 42-44
21. Primary trisomic analysis of three mutant
genes in barley. Elizabeth Furst and T. Tsuchiya, pp. 44-46
22. New telosomic and acrosomic trisomics in barley.
Elizabeth Furst and T. Tsuchiya, pp. 47-48
23. Primary trisomic analysis of a mutant "gigas"
in barley. J.W. Shim, E. Furst and T. Tsuchiya, p. 49
24. Linkage of the f6 chlorina mutant on
chromosome 7. K.C. Falk and K.J. Kasha, pp. 50-51
25. Powdery mildew resistance gene Ml-a8
(Reglh8) in northwest European spring barley varieties. J. Helms
Jørgensenand H.P. Jensen, pp. 51-53
26. Location to barley chromosomes of genes for
some major grain protease inhibitors. J. Hejgaard, S. Bjørn
and G. Nielsen, pp. 53-54
27. A pericentric inversion in chromosome 3 of
a translocation line of barley. Ib Linde-Laursen, pp. 54-55
28. Localization on barley chromosome 4 of genes
coding for B-amylase (Bmyl) and protein Z (Pazl). Gunnar
Nielsen, Hanne Johansen, Jens Jensen and Jørn Hejgaard, pp. 55-57
29. Localization on barley chromosome 5 of the
locus Pgd2 coding for phosphogluconate dehydrogenase. Gunnar
Nielsen, Hanne Johansen and Jens Jensen, pp. 57-59
30. Localization on barley chromosome 6 of the
gene Acol coding for aconitate hydratase. Gunnar Nielsen and
Hanne Johansen, p. 59
31. Hybrids between Hordeum pubiflorum
and Triticum aestivum. George Fedak, p. 59
32. Reaction of Hordeum bulbosum L. to
Japanese races of powdery mildew (Erysiphe graminis f. sp. hordei).
Ganesh Prasad, S. Yasuda and T. Konishi, pp. 60-62
33. Location of a light green dwarf mutant on
chromosome 2. R.T. Ramage and R.A. Ronstadt-Smith, pp. 62-64
34. Chromosome location of shrunken endosperm
mutants seg6g and seg8k. R.T. Ramage, pp. 64-65
35. Progress in the production of aneuhaploid
plants by using hap gene in barley. T. Tsuchiya and A. Shahla,
36. Official symbols for shrunken endosperm and
defective endosperm mutants. R.T. Ramage, pp. 67-69
37. Two new types of trisomics in barley.
J.W. Shim and T. Tsuchiya, p. 70
38. The occurrence of polypolid plants in the
progenies of trisomic plants in barley. D. Chapman and T. Tsuchiya,
39. Reciprocal translocations in sodium azide
treatments in barley. A.R. Prina, G. Hagberg and A. Hagberg, pp. 72-77
40. Erysiphe graminis resistance in the
murinum complex. Barbara Giles and John Barrett, pp. 78-82
41. New data about a gene for branching inflorescent
rachilla located on barley chromosome 7. H.E.B. Larsson, pp. 82-83
42. Association of the gene o for orange
lemma with the short arm of chromosome 6 (6S) in barley. Azizeh Shahla,
J.W. Shim and T. Tsuchiya, pp. 83-84
43. Proposed new gene symbol for two different
mutant types for zebra Colorado, or zoned leaf. T. Tsuchiya, p. 84
III. Genetic and Cytological Techniques
1. Theoretical segregating ratios in telotrisomic
analysis. T. Tsuchiya, pp. 85-87
IV. Reports from Coordinators
1. Overall coordinator's report. T. Tsuchiya,
2. Chromosome 1 (no report)
3. Chromosome 2: Dr. Wolfe agreed to serve as the coordinator for chromosome
2. Report will begin in BGN, Vol. 14. (no other report)
4. Chromosome 3. R. Takahashi, pp. 89-93
5. Chromosome 4. T.E. Haus, pp. 93-94
6. Chromosome 5. J. Jensen, pp. 94-97
7. Chromosome 6 (no report)
8. Chromosome 7. G. Fedak, p. 97
9. Genetic Stock Center, Fort Collins, Colorado
U.S.A. T. Tsuchiya, p. 98
10. Trisomic and aneuploid stocks. T. Tsuchiya,
11. Translocations and balanced tertiary trisomics.
Ramage, p. 100
12. Inversion (no report)
13. Desynaptic genes. R.T. Ramage &
J.L.A. Eckhoff, p. 100
14. Autotetraploid (no report)
15. Pest resistance genes (no report)
16. Ear morphology genes (no report).
17. Eceriferum genes (no report)
18. Chloroplast genes (no report)
19. Male sterility genes (no report)
20. Anthocyanin genes (no report)
21. Lysine and hordein genes:Dr. H. Doll accepted responsibility to
serve as a coordinator. Report will be prepared for BGN Vol. 14. (no further
22. Semidwarf genes (no report)
23. Earliness genes (no report)
24. Haploid barley (no report)
V. Current Linkage Maps of Barley
1. Linkage maps of barley, 1983. T. Tsuchiya,
VI. Description of Genetic Stocks. pp. 107-121.
VII. List of Barley Genetics Stocks
1. Master list of barley genes. Bodil Søgaard,
R.A. Nilan and D. von Wettstein, pp. 122-151
2. Supplementary list No. 1 (to master list of
barley genes): Genes for reaction to Erysiphe graminis hordei
(powdery mildew). Bodil Søgaard and J. Helms Jørgensen,
3. List of genetic stocks with BGS numbers.
T. Tsuchiya, pp. 161-177
VIII. List of Recent Publications on Barley Genetics, p. 178 (not included)
1. 1982 Publications 178-180
2. 1981 Publications (Supplement), pp. 180-181
3. Recent publications on barley genetics from Carlsberg Laboratory,
Copenhagen, Denmark, 182-186
1. Barley Genetics Newsletter. p. 187
X. Mailing List (Supplement), p. 188 (not included)
1. New subscribers - Libraries
2. New subscribers – Personal
3. Address change – Libraries
4. Address change – Personal
XI. Index for Volume 13, p. 191 (not included)
BGN Main Index